Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with Formula

I'm working in Excel 2003. I have numbers in Columns A and B. In column C i
have a formula that looks like this: =A1+B1 which give me the total for
those cells. however, sometimes i need to insert a cell and I shift the
others down which then changes my formula to: =A1+B2 and I dont want that to
happen. I would like the formula to pick up the value in the new inserted
cell. I have tried making the formula absolute however that does not work.

Please Help!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the SUM function instead.
=SUM(A1:B1)
Then when you insert a cell and shift the others down, the sum does not
change and the formula can be dragged down as many rows as you need.

KC Rippstein
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"Marilyn" wrote:

I'm working in Excel 2003. I have numbers in Columns A and B. In column C i
have a formula that looks like this: =A1+B1 which give me the total for
those cells. however, sometimes i need to insert a cell and I shift the
others down which then changes my formula to: =A1+B2 and I dont want that to
happen. I would like the formula to pick up the value in the new inserted
cell. I have tried making the formula absolute however that does not work.

Please Help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

KC

thank you for the quick response. it turns out that the Indirect function
did the job. ex: =a1+indirect("b1")

Thanks