Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eva Eva is offline

Default How do I enter ticks in Excel 97 or check boxes

--
Eva
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Eva

ViewtoolbarsControl Tool Box or Forms select checkbox or option button,
place it where you want, ok out.

If this does not get you all you need post back and give a little more
information as to what you are trying to accomplish.

Mike Rogers

"Eva" wrote:

--
Eva

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem with using a form is you can't sort by it -- so what I do is make
a drop down list with one item -- a square root symbol. It is a bit cheesy,
but it works.... and that way in a sort you can sort checked and unchecked
rows seperately.

"Eva" wrote:

--
Eva

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I find this technique pretty easy...

Select the range
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

Eva wrote:

--
Eva

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eva Eva is offline

Dave

it will not work on excel 97 as when you go to font to choose wingdings it
comes up with an error stating to use a built in number format

But thanks as it works a treat in excel 2003
--
Eva

Eva wrote:

--
Eva

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd try it again.

It's worked for me.

Remember that you're holding the alt-key while typing 0252 on the numeric
keypad.

Eva wrote:

--
Eva

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To be honest, I think it worked in xl97--but I don't have it to test.

I'd still try it again, though.

Eva wrote:

--
Eva