Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you set certain cells as read only?

I want to set a group of cells that calculate values...and I want them to be
readonly. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If by "readonly" you mean that they cannot be changed by the user, you need
to lock the cells and then protect the workbook. By default, all cells are
locked, so when you protect the sheet, none of the cells can be changed.

First, use CTRL+a to select all the cells (or click the square to the left
of the "A" column heading, above the "1" row heading). Go to the Format
menu, choose Cells, the Protection tab, and UNCHECK the Locked property.
That will make all cells editable even when the workbook is protected. Now
select the cells you want to lock. Go back and CHECK the Locked property.
Finally, protect the worksheet (Tools menu, Protection, Protect Sheet). Use
a password if desired.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson