Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default if i cut and paste from html into excel, i cannot create formulas

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel. When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's because the format of the cell isn't correct.

Typically, if you

copy a blank column
right-click on the data column
paste special/formats

it will be corrected.

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel. When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default if i cut and paste from html into excel, i cannot create formu

Thank you for your response. This is not the problem. The numbers from html
are not recognized as numbers in excel, even though they look like numbers.
I even formatted them as numbers. But when I try to create a formula, I get
#value!

I did paste special.

Thanks again.
John

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel. When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After formatting, have you tried, from the 'Data' menu, the 'Text to Columns'
option? I've found that formatting number data as 'General' in cases like
this helps.
--
T Tipsy

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel. When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

An example would be:
cell f3 is 81.61
cell f4 is 81.30
Formula in cell g4 is: =f4-f3
The result is #value!
John

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel.
When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

John, after you import your data, put 1 in a separate cell, and copy it.
Then select your data cells and paste special - multiply. This should turn
them into numbers.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"John Spann" wrote:

An example would be:
cell f3 is 81.61
cell f4 is 81.30
Formula in cell g4 is: =f4-f3
The result is #value!
John

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel.
When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't replicate the problem, but try this

=--F4-F3

--
---
HTH

Bob

"John Spann" wrote in message
An example would be:
cell f3 is 81.61
cell f4 is 81.30
Formula in cell g4 is: =f4-f3
The result is #value!
John

"John Spann" wrote:

I am cutting from Trade station using HTML, and pasting into excel.
When I
try to create a formula, I get error #value.
Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Michael's post worked for me. I was able to replicate the issue, and this
resolved it.

"Michael" wrote:

John, after you import your data, put 1 in a separate cell, and copy it.
Then select your data cells and paste special - multiply. This should turn
them into numbers.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"John Spann" wrote: