Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count

I want to get a total (count) of a column of non-numeric characters €“ each
time I use the auto sum feature and select count, the cursor is placed on the
first cell of the column waiting for a formula. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure what you mean but COUNT only counts numbers, try COUNTA

"sdmccabe" wrote:

I want to get a total (count) of a column of non-numeric characters €“ each
time I use the auto sum feature and select count, the cursor is placed on the
first cell of the column waiting for a formula. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't use the autosum feature in this way. Try this formula

=COUNTA(A1:A6)-COUNT(A1:A6)
or
=COUNTA(A:A)-COUNT(A:A)
(for the whole column)

"sdmccabe" wrote:

I want to get a total (count) of a column of non-numeric characters €“ each
time I use the auto sum feature and select count, the cursor is placed on the
first cell of the column waiting for a formula. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In that case, the counta function is what you want. so, =counta(A:A) will
return the number of cells in coluimn A with characters in them. If you have
numbers and letters in a column, and only want to count the number of cells
without numbers, then try =counta(A:A)-count(A:A)