Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Referencing a data validation list

I have a list of 96 names that fall into 7 departments. I have created a data
valaidation list for each grouping. But when I do a IF statement to reference
the DV cell it does not work. Any ideas? I want the user to first choose a
department, then from that choice choose from only the names that fall into
that department group.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Scott

See Debra Dalgeish's site for "dependent DV dropdowns"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:45:01 -0800, Scott@CW
wrote:

I have a list of 96 names that fall into 7 departments. I have created a data
valaidation list for each grouping. But when I do a IF statement to reference
the DV cell it does not work. Any ideas? I want the user to first choose a
department, then from that choice choose from only the names that fall into
that department group.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But when I do a IF statement to reference
the DV cell it does not work.

An IF statement to do what?

Need more detail!

Biff

"Scott@CW" wrote in message
I have a list of 96 names that fall into 7 departments. I have created a
data
valaidation list for each grouping. But when I do a IF statement to
reference
the DV cell it does not work. Any ideas? I want the user to first choose a
department, then from that choice choose from only the names that fall
into
that department group.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That worked perfectly. What I am doing is pullong in survey results. For each
person there is 15 questions. Could I use a VLookup to pull the data then
format my main sheet to drive the reporting functions?

wrote:

I have a list of 96 names that fall into 7 departments. I have created a data
valaidation list for each grouping. But when I do a IF statement to reference
the DV cell it does not work. Any ideas? I want the user to first choose a
department, then from that choice choose from only the names that fall into
that department group.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

VLOOKUP will pull the data.

Formatting and driving are up to you and the layout.

See Debra's site for help on VLOOKUP on the value you choose in the DV dropdown.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord

wrote:

I have a list of 96 names that fall into 7 departments. I have created a data
valaidation list for each grouping. But when I do a IF statement to reference
the DV cell it does not work. Any ideas? I want the user to first choose a
department, then from that choice choose from only the names that fall into
that department group.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got the formatting and my formulas to work so far. I am running into a
problem getting my comments column to automatically pull over to my report.
The column "A" has my dates, column "B" has the names, but the comments are
in column "R". I need to deposit the comments for a name for a particular
month all in one area of my report . There will be more than one comment per
name. Any ideas?