Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default Formatting a cell

I am looking to "custom format" a cell to minimize (or eliminate) data entry
errors the cell must be formatted for: (12/14/2006 8:00:00 AM) entries.

TFTH,
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This isn't what you're asking for, but.... are you looking to ensure
they type in a date value?

If so, may I suggest you look at Data Validation?

To set it up so they can only enter dates in a given cell, choose:

Data - Validation

Then, on the window that pops up, change Allow: to 'Date', then choose
what date ranges you would like to allow. By way of an example, you
can set the Data: to 'greater than' and then set Start Date: to some
date.

Then hit OK.

Scott

tom wrote:
I am looking to "custom format" a cell to minimize (or eliminate) data entry
errors the cell must be formatted for: (12/14/2006 8:00:00 AM) entries.

TFTH,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can also use the custom format

d/mm/yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM

Just type this in to the custom format box in the Format Cells dialog.

tom wrote:
I am looking to "custom format" a cell to minimize (or eliminate) data entry
errors the cell must be formatted for: (12/14/2006 8:00:00 AM) entries.

TFTH,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Scott:
Worked fine, however I am looking to aid the data entry process by
establishing a input customzed format so that once a number is added to the
cell it is format looks like this ##/##/#### ##:## AM/PM. Basically I am
looking for the (/ , :) to automatically be in the cell and the entries are
just numeric. Hope that makes sense.

TFTH

tom wrote:
I am looking to "custom format" a cell to minimize (or eliminate) data entry
errors the cell must be formatted for: (12/14/2006 8:00:00 AM) entries.

TFTH,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

What you are asking for is what is commonly known as a "input mask" where you
enter a number and it formats as date/time.

Cannot be done in Excel without the use of formula in a helper cell or via VBA
code.

You can do this with VBA event code.

See Chip Pearson's site for code and instructions.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP