-   -   Simple Format Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/122930-simple-format-question.html)

Quin

Simple Format Question

In my Excel Sheet I need to enter a lot of numbers formatted as time. An
example would be:

Cell A-1 is 7:00
Cell B-1 is 7:15

And I have a formula to subtract the value of A-1 from B-1 to give a
difference of 15 minutes.

The problem I am having is when I enter a lot of different values for A-1
and B-1 it is a pain because every time I type it in I need to find the shift
key to get the colon inserted.

Is there a way to just type 700 and have Excel understand that I mean 7:00?
This would make my data entry much faster.

Quin

Gord Dibben

Simple Format Question

Quin

You can do this with VBA event code.

See Chip Pearson's site for code and instructions.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Or for quick entry of just Dates see Ron de Bruin's site for an add-in.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/qde.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:53:00 -0800, Quin wrote:

In my Excel Sheet I need to enter a lot of numbers formatted as time. An
example would be:

Cell A-1 is 7:00
Cell B-1 is 7:15

And I have a formula to subtract the value of A-1 from B-1 to give a
difference of 15 minutes.

The problem I am having is when I enter a lot of different values for A-1
and B-1 it is a pain because every time I type it in I need to find the shift
key to get the colon inserted.

Is there a way to just type 700 and have Excel understand that I mean 7:00?
This would make my data entry much faster.

Quin

Niek Otten

Simple Format Question

Hi Quin,