Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why can't I sort a worksheet in Excel?

I've received a large worksheet from a client. When I try to sort that
option isn't available. I suspect that the sender has protected the
worksheet as read only or something like that. I do not know how to undue
this so I can make it manageble to work with.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Littlegenie

You might try toolsprotectand if it says "Unprotect" then it is protected.
You can "ok" out and the might work. (I have been known to protect
something without a password while testing.) If it is protected with a
password the right thing to do would be to contact the client and obtain the
password.

Hope this helps

Mike Rogers
"Littlegenie" wrote:

I've received a large worksheet from a client. When I try to sort that
option isn't available. I suspect that the sender has protected the
worksheet as read only or something like that. I do not know how to undue
this so I can make it manageble to work with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps the sender has ptotected the worksheet under ToolsProtectionProtect
Sheet?

You may need a password to unptotect.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:13:01 -0800, Littlegenie
wrote:

I've received a large worksheet from a client. When I try to sort that
option isn't available. I suspect that the sender has protected the
worksheet as read only or something like that. I do not know how to undue
this so I can make it manageble to work with.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for both replies. The worksheet is password protected. Strange
that the client would want to prevent bidders from sorting a worksheet that
has 7,300 rows! I'll request the password from them and go from there.