Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sumproduct or countif?

I'm having some issues here, I've been digging through the questions to find
an answer and I've tried several methods but I can't seem to get it. There
are a few different things I want to do so bear with me.

I have my dates separated into three columns b,c,d and I want to be able to
return the number of times "Inury, Lost Time" occurs in 2006 which would be
column b. I've tried the sumproduct but keep getting a value error

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Incidents 2006'!B3:B31500="2006"),--('Incidents
2006'!E3:E1500="Injury, Lost Time"))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Watch your ranges. B3:B31500 has lots more rows than E3:E1500.

And if that year field is really numeric, you may want to use =2006 (not the
string "2006").

And if that date field is really a date, you may want:

=SUMPRODUCT(--year('Incidents 2006'!B3:B31500)=2006),....

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

that worked bob, thanks

now for the next part

I want to be able to have change the 2006 to 2005 and have a different sheet
referenced for that answer in the same cell

does that make sense?

"phatbusa" wrote in message
I'm having some issues here, I've been digging through the questions to
find
an answer and I've tried several methods but I can't seem to get it.
There
are a few different things I want to do so bear with me.

I have my dates separated into three columns b,c,d and I want to be able
return the number of times "Inury, Lost Time" occurs in 2006 which would
be
column b. I've tried the sumproduct but keep getting a value error

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Incidents 2006'!B3:B31500="2006"),--('Incidents
2006'!E3:E1500="Injury, Lost Time"))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry,
do you have an email, and I'll show you what I'm workin' on?

if not basically what I'm trying to do is this,

I want to be able to change the year on the top of a sheet and have it show
only the data that corresponds to that year, and break it down into
categories like
equipment damage, injuries, and so on. to summarize the database.