nuttylocke

Default How do I display an insignificant 0 at the beginning of a number

I am trying to display a number (eg 123456) with a 0 (zero) at the beginning
(eg 0123456). Since excel does not display an insignificant zero by default,
can anyone tell me how I can do this and apply the rule to a list of cells
that already contain a 7 digit number without having to re-enter the
information.
Jason Morin

Go to Format Cells Number tab and click "Custom".
Under "Type" put: 0000000

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

hi,
you can pre-format the cell to text.
or create a custom format by going to formatcellnumber
tabcustom and enter 0000000. but this will only change
how the number looks. it will appear in the cell as
0123456 but in the formula bar it will appear as 123456.
if you copy and paste the number into another workbook or
application it will apear 123456.

.