Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating stats

I am creating and excel spreadsheet database. I need to know if it is
possible for me to keep count of entries done in a specific month (I am
entering dates) from a column that containing entries for all the months (the
past five years). I want to create this in a separate sheet (stats sheet)
showing how many entries we have in a month (the stats sheet contains a list
of each month). Also, I am going to keep on entering data so I will need the
stats page to update itself (keep on counting entries for the current month).
HELP!!! please.....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is possible.

1) In order for the stats worksheet to update itself, you need to use a
dynamic named range on the range for which stats are being calculated. Look
here for info: http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

2) In order to calculate the stats, you will need to use a function such as
SUMIF, COUNTIF, SUMPRODUCT, etc. Without knowing how your data are laid
out/what kind of data you have, it's impossible to tell you which of these
functions are appropriate.

Post back if you have questions about number 1, and give some more detail
about your data if you have questions about number 2.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"mercedes" wrote:

I am creating and excel spreadsheet database. I need to know if it is
possible for me to keep count of entries done in a specific month (I am
entering dates) from a column that containing entries for all the months (the
past five years). I want to create this in a separate sheet (stats sheet)
showing how many entries we have in a month (the stats sheet contains a list
of each month). Also, I am going to keep on entering data so I will need the
stats page to update itself (keep on counting entries for the current month).
HELP!!! please.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to find out how many inquiries I get in amonth, I have a column
for inquiries in which I eneter the inq. number and a column for inq. date in
which I enter the date the inq. was received. I want to list inq. for each
month individually in the stats page.
Thanks for your help!!

"mercedes" wrote:

I am creating and excel spreadsheet database. I need to know if it is
possible for me to keep count of entries done in a specific month (I am
entering dates) from a column that containing entries for all the months (the
past five years). I want to create this in a separate sheet (stats sheet)
showing how many entries we have in a month (the stats sheet contains a list
of each month). Also, I am going to keep on entering data so I will need the
stats page to update itself (keep on counting entries for the current month).
HELP!!! please.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could make a pivot table from the data. Select the data and make a pivot
table (Data menu). Drag the date into the row area and the number into the
data area. Right click on the Date field button, choose Group Group and
Show Detail, and in the dialog, make sure only Months is highlighted, and
click OK.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP