Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KCi KCi is offline

Default Match Last day of this month to last day of last month

Hi All, I have a question that I have not been able to answer on my own.
I have to compare calendar days in this month vs prior month, but I need the
last days to line up (so essentially, start in reverse) so month a will have
30 days and month b will have 31 days I need for month b to start on day two
as the comparison. The days (and values) of the two months increment each day
for the current month, prior month is established and filled.

If this is not clear (which I am sure it's not) let me know,
any help would be much appreciated...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KCi KCi is offline

I'm not sure if that's what I am looking for... I think I may not have been
very clear in my question, and apoligize...

Overall, here is what I am doing, I am creating a graph in Crystal Xcelcius
that is dynamically updating with a coldfusion script I wrote. The script
generates XML docs that are used in the excel 'template' (because that's all
it becomes for the data once you "automate" it. I am comparing a dollar value
each day of the month but want to make sure that when I compare I am
comparing apples to apples (per se) on a seperate (summary) tab I am
comparing the values of the days to each other for the graphical
representation...

So, the XML loads into the excel column with a number (1-30 or 31), date and
dollar amount, then the vLookup pulls the Max number from the current month
tab and grabs that same value from the previous month tab and compares
them... the problem I run into is when month a has 30 days and month b has 31
(which of course is all the time) it starts comparing day one to day one, but
if the previous month has 31 days, I'll want day 2 of previous month to be
compared to day 1 of current month and vice versa.

I hope that clarifies a bit...

Thanks for your replies!!!!

Casey

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Have a look at using the EOMONTH function from the analysis toolpak

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"KCi" wrote in message
Hi All, I have a question that I have not been able to answer on my own.
I have to compare calendar days in this month vs prior month, but I need
the
last days to line up (so essentially, start in reverse) so month a will
have
30 days and month b will have 31 days I need for month b to start on day
two
as the comparison. The days (and values) of the two months increment each
day
for the current month, prior month is established and filled.

If this is not clear (which I am sure it's not) let me know,
any help would be much appreciated...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

With
A1 containing the 1st day of a month
Cells below A1 contain subsequent dates of that month

This formula begins displaying the dates of the previous month, but aligning
the dates so the prev month end dates corresponds to the Col_A month end date.
B1:=IF((DAY(EOMONTH(A1,0))-DAY(EOMONTH(A1,-1)))=DAY(A1),"na",A1-DAY(EOMONTH(A1,0)))

Example:
A1: 3/1/2006
B1: na
A2: 3/2/2006