Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I automatically import .csv data from the web?

Hi,

I am familiar with web query and it's working fine for me in most cases.
However, one of the tables i'm importing from daily is changing it's format
back and forth all the time which in turn creates inconsistency in my imports
(data swithes columns in my spreadsheet). I've tried changing some options
with the query but to no avail.

Good news though. The exact same data is available in a .csv file at the
same website. Problem is that I have only worked with web query on html pages
with tables and have no idea on how to import a csv file automatically and
separate it into columns.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

/Mitch
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the Data | Import External Data option from the Excel menu. In the
Select Data Source window enter the full URL to the .csv file in the "File
name" area and choose Text files (*.txt,*.prn,*.csv,*.tab...) in the "Files
of type" drop-down. Then follow the wizards prompts to identify the
separator used in the file (comma, tab, semi-colon, etc) and on to the end.

If the site prompts you for a logon, try logging in anonymously.