Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Naming cells in a table based on column and row label

I have a table, and I want to name the cells base on information in the
column and the row. For example, the in the table below, I would like
the second cell in the second row to be named MilkCarb because of the
contents of the left column and the top row. Is there a way to
automatically name all the cells in a table like this?

Food Carb Protein Fat Kcal
Milk 12 8 0 90
Veg 5 2 0 25
Fruit 15 0 0 60

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsOptionsCalculation tab and check "Accept labels in formulas"

Then, in the given example you can use a construct like

=Milk Carb

to return 12

=Fruit Fat

to return 0

Note the space between values.

I can't seem to get this to work on sheets other than the one on which
the table resides though.

Best regards

Richard

wrote:
I have a table, and I want to name the cells base on information in the
column and the row. For example, the in the table below, I would like
the second cell in the second row to be named MilkCarb because of the
contents of the left column and the top row. Is there a way to
automatically name all the cells in a table like this?

Food Carb Protein Fat Kcal
Milk 12 8 0 90
Veg 5 2 0 25
Fruit 15 0 0 60

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Richard

To get the names to work in other sheets you can select the range and
InsertNamesCreate.

Checkmark in "Top Row" and "Left Column"

Now try =Milk Carb on another sheet.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP