Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why can't I double click on a file to open it?

I am a basic user but I should be able to open an Excel file by double
clicking the file. When I do this, Excel starts but my file does not open.
I have to go under "File" and then "Open" every time, which is really
annoying. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow opening files via
double clicking?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP