Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CW CW is offline

Default Automatic filter during import of external data?

Our corporate system is not great for reporting in itself but we have a csv
export file that can be produced at any time, containing over 50 fields.
We need to do several small reports/summaries that are based on only about
10 of these fields, so I propose to use Excel for this.
I know you can manually tell the Import Wizard to skip columns that you
don't want, but it would be quite impractical to go through all those one by
one every time we did an import to update the data.
Is there any way of automating this, i.e. setting up a filter that would
exclude the unwanted columns whenever we did a Get External Data from the
source csv?
Hope somebody knows a trick for doing this!
Many thanks
CW