Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XML on the Data Menu

I am trying to use the XML function in Excel, and don't know who to talk to.
The XML submenu should be in the data submenu, but it is not there. My
professor said it should be there in the 2003 version, and he was no help.
Any ideas? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lany,

Office 2003 was the first time that different versions of Excel were shipped
with the different levels of Office. Prior to Office 2003, the Excel you got
in one version of Office (Standard, Professional, Premium, etc) was the same
version of Excel you got in any other version of Office. Excel was Excel
was Excel.

That changed with Office 2003. In 2003, you need Office Professional or
Premium (I forget which) to get the version of Excel that has all the XML
features. If you have Office Standard (or Student/Teacher or Basic or
whatever they call it), that version of Excel doesn't have full XML support.

Personally, I think it was a bad decision to use different versions of Excel
in different versions of Office, but MS didn't ask me what I thought. As far
as I know, XML support is the only difference between the versions of Excel.

Just wait until Office 2007 is released -- there are going to be 7 (!)
versions of Office, ranging from Home/Student up to Ultimate.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Lany" wrote in message
I am trying to use the XML function in Excel, and don't know who to talk
to.
The XML submenu should be in the data submenu, but it is not there. My
professor said it should be there in the 2003 version, and he was no help.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Larry

As Chip has pointed out....you need Office 2003 Professional version.

If you have that version go to ToolsCustomizeCommandsData

Scroll down to bottom of list and drag the XML buttons up to the Data menu.

If they are not there, you have a non-supported version.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:06:01 -0800, Lany wrote:

I am trying to use the XML function in Excel, and don't know who to talk to.
The XML submenu should be in the data submenu, but it is not there. My
professor said it should be there in the 2003 version, and he was no help.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just wait until Office 2007 is released

But I've seen nothing indicating the Excel functionality will vary among
Office versions. Have you, Chip?

--
Jim
"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
| Lany,
|
| Office 2003 was the first time that different versions of Excel were
shipped
| with the different levels of Office. Prior to Office 2003, the Excel you
got
| in one version of Office (Standard, Professional, Premium, etc) was the
same
| version of Excel you got in any other version of Office. Excel was Excel
| was Excel.
|
| That changed with Office 2003. In 2003, you need Office Professional or
| Premium (I forget which) to get the version of Excel that has all the XML
| features. If you have Office Standard (or Student/Teacher or Basic or
| whatever they call it), that version of Excel doesn't have full XML
support.

| Personally, I think it was a bad decision to use different versions of
Excel
| in different versions of Office, but MS didn't ask me what I thought. As
far
| as I know, XML support is the only difference between the versions of
Excel.

| Just wait until Office 2007 is released -- there are going to be 7 (!)
| versions of Office, ranging from Home/Student up to Ultimate.
|

| --
| Cordially,
| Chip Pearson
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
| Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
| www.cpearson.com
| (email address is on the web site)
|

| "Lany" wrote in message
| I am trying to use the XML function in Excel, and don't know who to talk
| to.
| The XML submenu should be in the data submenu, but it is not there. My
| professor said it should be there in the 2003 version, and he was no
help.
| Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But I've seen nothing indicating the Excel functionality will vary among
Office versions. Have you, Chip?

No, I have not. But with 7 different versions of Office, who knows?