Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Unhides Rows

I have a spreadsheet with hidden rows. When I open the file it unhide
all rows of one tab. When I go and unhide the rows and open the file a
second time this happens again and the rows unhide. It does not happen to my
co-workers. It is probably a way that my Excel is set up. Not sure if it
has macros associated with is.

Any ideas how to keep it hidden?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gingit wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with hidden rows. When I open the file it unhide
all rows of one tab. When I go and unhide the rows and open the file a
second time this happens again and the rows unhide. It does not happen to my
co-workers. It is probably a way that my Excel is set up. Not sure if it
has macros associated with is.

Any ideas how to keep it hidden?

Thanks,

Hi Gingit,

Yeah it sounds like you may have an unmerge macro set to trigger when
the workbook it is opened, as if the cells are hidden before the
workbbok is saved, they will normally be hidden when the workbook is
opened again. Firstly do you know much about macros and are there any
currently on the workbook that must remain?

I'm not sure of your skill level so please excuse me if the directions
seem to simple. To check if there are macros in the workbook (I'm
presuming you have Excel 2000 or above) click Tools Macro Visual
Basic Editor. when the new window opens (vba) look at the left hand
side of the screen for the 'Project Explorer' if it's not visible click
on the Project Explorer icon and it will open.

Macros can be on the spreadsheet or available to the entire workbook.
double click on each spreadsheet in the Project Explorer until you see
some code appear in the main window, the code may also be in a module
so if you can't find macros on the sheets try the modules.

If you come across a macro the code your looking for is .MergeCells =
False, change it to .MergeCells = True, save it, close the workbook,
re-open and it should now be ok.

NB: If there is a macro currently in use on the workbook your using
which contains the unmerge code then check first if it is necessary,
you may need to leave it as is because this is most likely necessary
for the macro to run, or if your company is big enough to enjoy an
IS/IT dept. get them to do it!

Let me know if you need more help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Monza,

I couldn't find a "Merge Cells" command. Here are the two macros in the file:

Sub Justify()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Selection.Copy
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Justify
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios _
:=True
End Sub

Sub Query()
Range("Data").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CriteriaRange:= _
Range("Criterion"), CopyToRange:=Range("output"), Unique:=False
ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=16
Range("C30").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-25]C:R[-1]C)"
Range("B30").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Total Amount"
Range("B30").Select
Selection.Font.Bold = True
With Selection
.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.VerticalAlignment = xlBottom
.WrapText = False
.Orientation = xlHorizontal
End With
Range("C30").Select
Selection.Borders(xlLeft).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlRight).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlTop).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlBottom).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.BorderAround Weight:=xlMedium, ColorIndex:=xlAutomatic
Range("C4").Select
End Sub

Thank you for your help.

Gingit

"Monza" wrote:

Gingit wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gingit,

Sorry I misinterpreted your question I thought you wanted the columns
unmerged when the file is opened, but as you say you want them to
remain hidden when the file is open.

From the vba you posted above there is no code there to trigger a

merge/unmerge at all, so you may have to drill down a bit deeper as I
suspect the code your looking for may be assigned to a sheet and not a
module. Without the workbook here I not sure I can be of more help,
but may I suggest opening a co-workers workbook and audit the macros
associated with their sheets and modules, you could copy 'n paste them
into a word doc, print them out and check this with yours. This may be
the quickest approach.

I hope this helps