Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Edited links keep reverting when we save a shared network file.

So we have one heck of a problem with a shared spreadsheet.

There's a spreadsheet that we have to share among a few people in our
Engineering department. Within the document there are some links to files
and directories on our network. Following a recent reorganization of our
network, the links are now outdated. Okay no big whoop. We know where
they're supposed to go and can change them so that they work fine. The
problem is that as soon as you hit "save", the changes are immediately
undone. The links go back to pointing toward their old locations.

It only happens with links, not regular text. It only happens with links to
other sites in our network, never to web sites.

So in short, "save" is having the exact opposite effect.

We are stumped. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

The
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Addendum: Okay, so Excel seems to, no matter what I do, save links to files
in other directories as paths relative to where the spreadsheet currently is.
So for example, one link points to "../../../PUBLIC/Quotes/NJ" Reading that
normally, you know it's telling the computer to back up three directories in
the directory structure then down into the PUBLIC folder, then Quotes, then
NJ. Yeah fine. Those directories exist but Excel won't go to them. Could
be a network problem on our end, but... well it's actually pretty irrelevant.
I want to give them absolute path names, none of this "back up three
directories then follow these subdirectories" nonsense. And I want these
changes to STAY instead of reverting to the relative pathnames. I'm getting
frustrated .<