Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to do Vlookup on Multiple sheets on Excel ?

Hi

I have in one worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 1.
I have another worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 2.

I want to create a worksheet with the Names in Column A but in column C I
want it to look up the name in period 1 and grab the amount and in Column D
look up the name in period 2 and grab the amount.
So I can calculate the difference with in the two periods.

I hope someone can help me ! Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your 3rd sheet in column C you would have a formula like this:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C3,3,FALSE)

This will look at the Name in your third sheet (A1), then it will look at
sheet 1 and search the range of data A1:C3 and return the value of the 3rd
column (your amount)

In your 3rd sheet in column D you would have a formula like this:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:C3,3,FALSE)

This does the same thing but you will note it is looking at Sheet2 rather
than sheet1

You can then just copy these formulas down as far as you need in your 3rd
sheet.

(In the sample above i only used 3 names and 3 values for the 1st two
sheets, obviously your data is probably larger.)

"julz" wrote:

Hi

I have in one worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 1.
I have another worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 2.

I want to create a worksheet with the Names in Column A but in column C I
want it to look up the name in period 1 and grab the amount and in Column D
look up the name in period 2 and grab the amount.
So I can calculate the difference with in the two periods.

I hope someone can help me ! Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could even combine the VLookups in one cell if you choose. The formula
below subracts the 2nd sheet number result from the 1st sheet number result.

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:C3,3,FALSE)-VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:C3,3,FALSE)

"julz" wrote:

Hi

I have in one worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 1.
I have another worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 2.

I want to create a worksheet with the Names in Column A but in column C I
want it to look up the name in period 1 and grab the amount and in Column D
look up the name in period 2 and grab the amount.
So I can calculate the difference with in the two periods.

I hope someone can help me ! Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry Tim and Thank you. It probably would have worked if I actually went
into detail. But I thought I should make it short.

On my Period 1 worksheet I have the names on Column A but I have on Columns
C,D,E,F,G, H, I and J amounts but column K has the sum of that row.
The same for Period 2 worksheet.

Instead of me flipping back and forth from worksheets, I want to see the
names and sum amount for Period 1 and 2 in one sheet. I'm assuming I would
be doing a VLOOKUP on the Name but how do I get the sum amount for the name
appering beside the it for Period 1 and 2 ?

I hope I make sense.

"julz" wrote:

Hi

I have in one worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 1.
I have another worksheet in Column A Names and in Column C an amount for
period 2.

I want to create a worksheet with the Names in Column A but in column C I
want it to look up the name in period 1 and grab the amount and in Column D
look up the name in period 2 and grab the amount.
So I can calculate the difference with in the two periods.

I hope someone can help me ! Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See if this is what you are after, it is similar to the formulas I showed
before. It will look at the Name (which I assume would be starting in A1 of
the usmmary sheet), it will then go to sheet 1 and find the name and then the
sum from column k, it will then do a similar lookup of sheet 2 for the name
and the sum in column k and will add these two values together. You would
end up in your summary sheet with the names in Column A and this formula in
column B (which you would copy down as far as you require.)

Of course since I do not know the exact names of your sheets or the exact
number of rows in your spreadsheet I can only give a formula example. you
will have to adjust the formulas for your data. (If in your summary sheet
you wanted the names in column A and the the sums in different columns, B & C
for example you'd just remove the + and 2nd vlookup and copy the formula down
column B and then just change the sheet name for vlookup in column C

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:K3,11,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(A1,Shee t2!A1:K3,11,FALSE)