Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP ARRAY

I know it's just a brain-cramp, but I have a question about the lookup array
in VLOOKUP. When I do a VLOOKUP, I specify the lookup value, then I specify
the lookup array which is in a seperate spreadsheet. When the first value is
found in the lookup array, the value I specified is returned.. I then copy
that value down the column I want to place the lookup value in. In each cell
the array value is the same (e.g. A1 thru F100). In a coworkers Excel sheet,
that value for each of the rows changes to like A2 thru F101 and so on. I
don't know what I did to set my spreadsheet to the same absolute array A1
thru F100 ( that is what I want). Mine used to do that too so I'd have to
specify $A$1 thru $F$100 in my formula. What setting di I change?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, the formula in my workbook I'm looking up data in is the array of data,
not the columns. I select the top leftmost data cell, hit SHIFT-CTRL-END to
select all data to the lowest right cell for my table array. My formula ends
up looking like: =VLOOKUP(C7,'[SNAFU.xls]RoHS PARTS IN PROD
10-24-06'!$A$8:$G$2596,2,FALSE). But in my spreadsheet, I don't have to
enter the "$A$8:$G$2596"- it's placed there automatically when I select my
data array by SHIFT-CTRL-END. That's what I want it to do. But my
colleague, whom I'm trying to impart some knowledge of VLOOKUP, in her sheet
she must manually enter the $ operator in her formula; otherwise the formula
in the cell below her first formula cell will change to (in the above range)
$A9:$G2597 and so on. I want her sheet to keep the original array for
lookup, like mine does.

I'm not the swiftest at Excel, but am aware of most of its capabilities-
just not sure how to implement them.

Dave

"Dave" wrote:

I know it's just a brain-cramp, but I have a question about the lookup array
in VLOOKUP. When I do a VLOOKUP, I specify the lookup value, then I specify
the lookup array which is in a seperate spreadsheet. When the first value is
found in the lookup array, the value I specified is returned.. I then copy
that value down the column I want to place the lookup value in. In each cell
the array value is the same (e.g. A1 thru F100). In a coworkers Excel sheet,
that value for each of the rows changes to like A2 thru F101 and so on. I
don't know what I did to set my spreadsheet to the same absolute array A1
thru F100 ( that is what I want). Mine used to do that too so I'd have to
specify $A$1 thru $F$100 in my formula. What setting di I change?

Thanks,

Dave

vLookup with multiple lookup value in table array [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 26th 06 04:12 PM
Array Brad Excel Worksheet Functions 9 October 17th 05 09:00 PM
How do i lengthen an existing VLOOKUP table array? artesia7 Excel Worksheet Functions 5 October 17th 05 03:11 AM
sumif based on vlookup array Brian Winkler Excel Worksheet Functions 6 October 16th 05 01:52 PM
How to use a cell value as Table Array in VLOOKUP worksheet function willydlish Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 February 16th 05 02:47 AM