Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default autofilter problem

i am using xl 2002 for windows. my autofilter works fine for selecting
a certain catagory, say 99235
or 348851. but if i try to use a Custom filter, specifically "Begins
with" then type in 99, it shows nothing. i have tried to use text
format, general format, and number format, with the same result....all
the rows with data are hidden. what am i overlooking?

thanks

billy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tonso

Quote from a Dave Peterson posting............

Real numbers won't work the way you want.

But if you add a helper column and convert that number number to a text number,
you could filter on that helper column.

You could use:

=text(a2,"0000.000")
or
=a2&""

to convert to text (depending on what you want to see)

End Dave quote.......................................

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 17 Nov 2006 13:22:39 -0800, "Tonso" wrote:

i am using xl 2002 for windows. my autofilter works fine for selecting
a certain catagory, say 99235
or 348851. but if i try to use a Custom filter, specifically "Begins
with" then type in 99, it shows nothing. i have tried to use text
format, general format, and number format, with the same result....all
the rows with data are hidden. what am i overlooking?

thanks

billy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Could you try Greater than 89999

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Tonso" wrote in message
oups.com...
i am using xl 2002 for windows. my autofilter works fine for selecting
a certain catagory, say 99235
or 348851. but if i try to use a Custom filter, specifically "Begins
with" then type in 99, it shows nothing. i have tried to use text
format, general format, and number format, with the same result....all
the rows with data are hidden. what am i overlooking?

thanks

billy

Member

Location: London

I thought Roger's answer was more logical, actually, FWIW.