Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ignore "a(n)", "the" in A-Z sort

I'm sure it's easy, but I can't find this anywhere. I need to sort, ignoring
A, AN, THE, so everythging is in the correct alphabetical order. Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A Bob Phillips suggestion from Nov. 13th

Create a helper column and strip leading The and A and An,

=Substitute(Substitute(Substitute(A1,"The ",""),"A ",""),"An","")

Sort on the stripped column.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:44:02 -0800, jmj713
wrote:

I'm sure it's easy, but I can't find this anywhere. I need to sort, ignoring
A, AN, THE, so everythging is in the correct alphabetical order. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Create a helper column and strip leading The and A and An,

But is it possible for them to remain, but still be sortable, just ignoring?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

They will remain in the original column. Select all the relevant columns
(including the original and the helper column), sort by the helper column,
and that will sort the original ignoring the bits you've stripped out.
--
David Biddulph