Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with a template

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

maicboy

If your template is saved as a template, right click on the icon and select
"open", (not "new"). You can now edit the template. goto "view"
"header/footer" in the page set up window select "footer", in the footer
select the "file name button" (second from the right with the excel "x" in
it). Ok out and save the template and close it. Now select the icon again
and either double click to open or right click and from the dropdown menu
select "New". This opens a "copy"of the template, from this "copy" you click
"save as" and save the new workbook to the file of your choice. The file
name will be changed in the footer to the locateion of this new workbook.
Does this help?

Mike Rogers

"maicboy123456" wrote:

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your input Mike, I appreciate it. What I have is a template that
I want used as a calculator (for want of a better discription). I want it so
that users can use the template to calculate and print (and set print are).
My problem is, I have to be able to prove some how in the template that it
was opened from the temaplate and not a saved copy of it.... Does that make
sense???

Thanks again, Jon.

"maicboy123456" wrote:

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

maicboy

A template is usually used to start a new project or process, such as an
invoice or a time sheet. Something you want all the formatting and basics to
start with.

If you are using it as a file that is added to on a regular basis and want
to know that it is the original and not a copy, put the file in a footer as I
suggested and it will always print the path used to open it. It will olny
show up either in print preview or as a printed page.

Does this help?

Mike Rogers

"maicboy123456" wrote:

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have tried putting the footer in, but I open the file from a network
location and when I opened it the footer shows that the file was from

C:\documents and settings........\work...\

It doesnt show the network location

N:\Templates\worksheet.xlt

Thanks again for your help.

"maicboy123456" wrote:

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike,

Thinking about it more the way you pointed out could work if there is a way
to stop the footer being transfered to a saved copy of the worksheet... Any
ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

"maicboy123456" wrote:

I have a template saved, and I need to be able to prove that this template
is/was opened from a certain location. I know I can type a header/footer to
say what the file location is, but I need this information to only show when
it's printed. I also need it so that the worksheet cant be saved from the
template.(only printed)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

maicboy

It will change the location to the new folder, and I wish I had something
better for you, but I don't. Maybe some one else can give you a lead. Good
luck!!! There is an answer!!

Mike Rogers