Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gai Gai is offline

Default loosing data from excel file in shared workbook

Hi All, I have created an excel workbook with several worksheets in it and a
large number of users that will be using it over a six week period. Because
of the number of users, I have shared the workbook. I don't know if this
relates to the share function, but today I have been told that a substantial
number of entries are no longer there. They were saved earlier in the week,
and also in fact some entries saved last week and reopened this week, but the
entries are no longer there. The file is there though- just the data that has
been entered into the template I set up.

I know that I accidentally kicked someone out this morning when I unshared
it to do some changes to the actual structure, but the the things that are
missing relate to things already known to be saved and reopened, so I'm
confused. The possibilities as I see them:
1) Someone has come along and deleted the data. Unlikely due to the tedium
in doing that - completely separate areas over the file, and in fact some of
the data was password protected.
2) Something screwy happening with the file and an excocist is required.
3) When I kicked out the officer sharing the file I did a lot more
4) I rang a macro (which I am prone to do) that replaced the file with a
fresh file and I can't remember doing it. Age is becoming a factor, but I
have back-tracked my steps this week and really can't remember working on
this file. Besides, I have a copy of the file complete as of this morning-
and I know I can remember that far back!!

Is there something else I am missing? I am concerned for the integrity of
the data if this happens because i have several clones of this file in other
units and so the issue can potentially be widespread.

Any help appreciated. I will now have quite a bit of trouble convincing
staff that they should trust their information to this file. Awaiting
assistance quietly in the corner in the feotal position.....