Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default negative fractions

I am having a problem with negative fractions. I am using MS Excel version
11.0 on Windows 2000 SP4, signed in as administrator. When I try formatting
cells as #?/?
or ?/? I find that the cell value becomes converted to a positive number.
The values that I am using only need to be one significant figure as I am
using ±1/3 and ±2/3.
Any ideas of some kind of custome format that addresses negative values? I
am using both negative and positive values and then adding all of the values
in a short column of typically 6 cells. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try:

# ??/??

Note the space after the #
--
Gary's Student

"amescha" wrote:

I am having a problem with negative fractions. I am using MS Excel version
11.0 on Windows 2000 SP4, signed in as administrator. When I try formatting
cells as #?/?
or ?/? I find that the cell value becomes converted to a positive number.
The values that I am using only need to be one significant figure as I am
using ±1/3 and ±2/3.
Any ideas of some kind of custome format that addresses negative values? I
am using both negative and positive values and then adding all of the values
in a short column of typically 6 cells. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format Custom as

# ?/?;-#?/?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"amescha" wrote in message ...
|I am having a problem with negative fractions. I am using MS Excel version
| 11.0 on Windows 2000 SP4, signed in as administrator. When I try formatting
| cells as #?/?
| or ?/? I find that the cell value becomes converted to a positive number.
| The values that I am using only need to be one significant figure as I am
| using ±1/3 and ±2/3.
| Any ideas of some kind of custome format that addresses negative values? I
| am using both negative and positive values and then adding all of the values
| in a short column of typically 6 cells. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you using # ?/? with a space between the # and the first question mark ?
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme