Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need a formula to count depending on conditions

Hi,

I want to be able to count the number of times a code, say UO, occurs in a
column, but only for rows which have certain text in another column.

So for example, the number of time UO appears in column A, when Creative
Technology is in Column B in the example below:

A B

UO Sound & Music for Interactive Games
O Information Management
UF Information Studies
UO Creative Technology
UF Information Systems
UF Games Design
UO Creative Technology
UF Creative Technology

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet you get a flurry of answers :-)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A8="UO"),--(B1:B8="Creative Technology))

or

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A8="UO")*(B1:B8="Creative Technology))

--
Allllen

"AdamINN" wrote:

Hi,

I want to be able to count the number of times a code, say UO, occurs in a
column, but only for rows which have certain text in another column.

So for example, the number of time UO appears in column A, when Creative
Technology is in Column B in the example below:

A B

UO Sound & Music for Interactive Games
O Information Management
UF Information Studies
UO Creative Technology
UF Information Systems
UF Games Design
UO Creative Technology
UF Creative Technology

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you could use column C to tell you if column A contains the text you
want AND if column B contains the other text. Then if C is equal to, for
instance, "TRUETRUE", it means it's a match. Then you can use
"=count.if(C:C;"TRUETRUE")"

"AdamINN" wrote...
Hi,

I want to be able to count the number of times a code, say UO, occurs in a
column, but only for rows which have certain text in another column.

So for example, the number of time UO appears in column A, when Creative
Technology is in Column B in the example below:

A B

UO Sound & Music for Interactive Games
O Information Management
UF Information Studies
UO Creative Technology
UF Information Systems
UF Games Design
UO Creative Technology
UF Creative Technology

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100="UO"),--(b1:b100="Creative Technology"))

Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

=sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's.

Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail he

And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

AdamINN wrote:

Hi,

I want to be able to count the number of times a code, say UO, occurs in a
column, but only for rows which have certain text in another column.

So for example, the number of time UO appears in column A, when Creative
Technology is in Column B in the example below:

A B

UO Sound & Music for Interactive Games
O Information Management
UF Information Studies