Daria1977

Default Matching data in columns

I hope somebody can help me.

I have a list in column C of 13000 names with a reference number against
each of them in column D. The reference numbers are between 1 and 760 and
each of the 13,000 names in column C has one of the 760 numbers against it in
column D. In column F, I have the list of 760 numbers with text for each of
these numbers in column G.

I need to correctly insert the text for all these 760 names against my main
list of 13,000 names. To try to explain it I want to:

If number in any cell in column D equals the same number in any cell column
F, then paste the text in column G for that number to column E, to correspond
with the same number in column D.

I hope this is clear!

Daria
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Add a sheet, p.e. References, and enter all unique reference numbers into
column A, and according reference texts into column B - i.e. you'll have
there a table in range A1:B760

On your sheet with names, enter p.e. into cell F2 the formula
=VLOOKUP(D2,References!$A$1:$B$760,2,0)
and copy it into all 13000 cells in column C

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<attarkon.ee
Arvi Laanemets

"Daria1977" wrote in message
[...]

Jim May

Excuse Arvi, but
where you say:
On your sheet with names, enter p.e. into cell F2 the formula
=VLOOKUP(D2,References!$A$1:$B$760,2,0)
and copy it into all 13000 cells in column C

wouldn't it be:
On your sheet with names, enter p.e. into cell E2 the formula
=VLOOKUP(D2,References!$A$1:$B$760,2,0)
and copy it into all 13000 cells in column E ?

Sorry, just throwing it out...

"Daria1977" wrote in message
[...]

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

"Jim May" wrote in message
Excuse Arvi, but
where you say:
On your sheet with names, enter p.e. into cell F2 the formula
=VLOOKUP(D2,References!$A$1:$B$760,2,0)
and copy it into all 13000 cells in column C

wouldn't it be:
On your sheet with names, enter p.e. into cell E2 the formula
=VLOOKUP(D2,References!$A$1:$B$760,2,0)
and copy it into all 13000 cells in column E ?

Looks like you are right. I was confused with OP's directions a bit - I
didn't realise, that she has there 2 different tables together. But it looks
like she got it anyway!