Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default link excel database?

Hi,
does anyone know how i link a excel database to a worksheet, so I can type
in a product code and the description automatically appears?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have a look in the help index for LOOKUP and VLOOKUP

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"DDLawrie" wrote in message
does anyone know how i link a excel database to a worksheet, so I can type
in a product code and the description automatically appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have tried to search for v lookup but it does not explain how i set it up

"DDLawrie" wrote:

Hi,
does anyone know how i link a excel database to a worksheet, so I can type
in a product code and the description automatically appears?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=vlookup() relies on that key column being the first column of the lookup
range. If you ever want to bring back something to the left of that key column,
you could use =index(match()).

Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

"DDLawrie" wrote:

Hi,
does anyone know how i link a excel database to a worksheet, so I can type
in a product code and the description automatically appears?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looks like a pretty good example to me
VLOOKUP
See Also

Searches for a value in the leftmost column of a table, and then returns a
value in the same row from a column you specify in the table. Use VLOOKUP
instead of HLOOKUP when your comparison values are located in a column to
the left of the data you want to find.

The V in VLOOKUP stands for "Vertical."

Syntax

VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

Lookup_value is the value to be found in the first column of the array.
Lookup_value can be a value, a reference, or a text string.

Table_array is the table of information in which data is looked up. Use a
reference to a range or a range name, such as Database or List.

a.. If range_lookup is TRUE, the values in the first column of table_array
must be placed in ascending order: ..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., A-Z, FALSE,
TRUE; otherwise VLOOKUP may not give the correct value. If range_lookup is
FALSE, table_array does not need to be sorted.

b.. You can put the values in ascending order by choosing the Sort command
from the Data menu and selecting Ascending.

c.. The values in the first column of table_array can be text, numbers, or
logical values.

d.. Uppercase and lowercase text are equivalent.

Col_index_num is the column number in table_array from which the matching
value must be returned. A col_index_num of 1 returns the value in the first
column in table_array; a col_index_num of 2 returns the value in the second
column in table_array, and so on. If col_index_num is less than 1, VLOOKUP
returns the #VALUE! error value; if col_index_num is greater than the number
of columns in table_array, VLOOKUP returns the #REF! error value.

Range_lookup is a logical value that specifies whether you want VLOOKUP to
find an exact match or an approximate match. If TRUE or omitted, an
approximate match is returned. In other words, if an exact match is not
found, the next largest value that is less than lookup_value is returned. If
FALSE, VLOOKUP will find an exact match. If one is not found, the error
value #N/A is returned.

Remarks

a.. If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is TRUE, it uses
the largest value that is less than or equal to lookup_value.
b.. If lookup_value is smaller than the smallest value in the first column
of table_array, VLOOKUP returns the #N/A error value.
c.. If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is FALSE, VLOOKUP
returns the #N/A value.
Example

The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.

How?

1.. Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
2.. Select the example in the Help topic. Do not select the row or column
headers.

Selecting an example from Help

3.. Press CTRL+C.
4.. In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
5.. To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that
return the results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Tools menu, point
to Formula Auditing, and then click Formula Auditing Mode.

The example uses values for air at 1 atm pressure.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
A B C
Density Viscosity Temperature
0.457 3.55 500
0.525 3.25 400
0.616 2.93 300
0.675 2.75 250
0.746 2.57 200
0.835 2.38 150
0.946 2.17 100
1.09 1.95 50
1.29 1.71 0
Formula Description (Result)
=VLOOKUP(1,A2:C10,2) Looks up 1 in column A, and returns the
value from column B in the same row (2.17)
=VLOOKUP(1,A2:C10,3,TRUE) Looks up 1 in column A, and returns
the value from column C in the same row (100)
=VLOOKUP(.7,A2:C10,3,FALSE) Looks up 0.746 in column A. Because
there is no exact match in column A, an error is returned (#N/A)
=VLOOKUP(0.1,A2:C10,2,TRUE) Looks up 0.1 in column A. Because
0.1 is less than the smallest value in column A, an error is returned (#N/A)
=VLOOKUP(2,A2:C10,2,TRUE) Looks up 2 in column A, and returns
the value from column B in the same row (1.71)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software