Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to copy into 1000s of cells?

Suppose I put a formula into A1, and I want to "copy down" through
A5000. What is the easiest way to do that?

(By the way, A5000 is just an example. I might want A10000 or more.)

I know that I could drag the cell down through A5000. But that is
tedious and error-prone. It is easy to overshoot A5000.

I know that I could copy A1, click on A2, scroll down to A5000 and
shift-click the cell to highlight the range A2:A5000, then paste. But
that, too, is tedious.

I would be content to copy A1, click on A2, then "go to" (ctl-G) A5000
and shift-click the cell in order to highlight the range A2:A5000, then
paste. But that does not seem to work. (I am using Office Excel 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy A1.

In the names box (left of the formula bar), type A5000
Hold the Shift key down and hit Enter
Paste

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
oups.com...
Suppose I put a formula into A1, and I want to "copy down" through
A5000. What is the easiest way to do that?

(By the way, A5000 is just an example. I might want A10000 or more.)

I know that I could drag the cell down through A5000. But that is
tedious and error-prone. It is easy to overshoot A5000.

I know that I could copy A1, click on A2, scroll down to A5000 and
shift-click the cell to highlight the range A2:A5000, then paste. But
that, too, is tedious.

I would be content to copy A1, click on A2, then "go to" (ctl-G) A5000
and shift-click the cell in order to highlight the range A2:A5000, then
paste. But that does not seem to work. (I am using Office Excel 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, an Excel usage tip:
When you copy/paste, it's ok for the paste range to include the source cell
This example copies cell A1 and pastes down through cell A3:
Copy A1
Shift-Click on cell A3
Press [enter]

Next....for your situaion....maybe one of these will help:

If you need to paste down through a series of cell with existing values:
Copy A1
Hold down the [shift] key
.....press [end]
.....press [down]
Release the [shift] key
Press [enter]

OR....use a range name...
Select from A1:A5000
In the NameBox, type: rngDestination
Press [enter]
(That creates the range name)

Copy A1
Press [F5].....that's the shortcut for <edit<go to
Select: rngDestination
Click [OK]
(that selects rngDestination)
Press [enter]

Something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

" wrote:

Suppose I put a formula into A1, and I want to "copy down" through
A5000. What is the easiest way to do that?

(By the way, A5000 is just an example. I might want A10000 or more.)

I know that I could drag the cell down through A5000. But that is
tedious and error-prone. It is easy to overshoot A5000.

I know that I could copy A1, click on A2, scroll down to A5000 and
shift-click the cell to highlight the range A2:A5000, then paste. But
that, too, is tedious.

I would be content to copy A1, click on A2, then "go to" (ctl-G) A5000
and shift-click the cell in order to highlight the range A2:A5000, then
paste. But that does not seem to work. (I am using Office Excel 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wrote:
Suppose I put a formula into A1, and I want to "copy down" through
A5000. What is the easiest way to do that?

Thanks for the responses. The NameBox/shift-Enter and GoTo/range
methods work best for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron

One more method. If there are existing values in the column or an adjacent
column, double-clicking the fill handle will do the job.

Ron Coderre wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
and shift-click the cell in order to highlight the range A2:A5000, then
paste. But that does not seem to work. (I am using Office Excel 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a matter of personal preference for me....
I prefer to pre-select the destination range so I can see if I'll be doing
any damage before I paste. The Dbl-click method doesn't automatically take
you to the end of the paste range, so I always feel compelled to go check it
anyway.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP