Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Custom Calculations

I have approx 8000 rows of information with approx 30 columns. I want to add
a custom calculation which I was able to to at first but everytime I refresh
the pivot it bombs out & closes. I am assuming it the file is to large. Is
there a way to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What calculation are you creating? Maybe it's something that can be
calculated in the source table, then added as a normal field in the
pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to insert a calulated item as a %. Columns A includes forecast
and actual values. I want the clauculated item to be % of forecast to actual.
I just relized I am getting a message that says "calculated items do not work
with custom subtotals" I swear it worked once and kept bombing excel.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

What calculation are you creating? Maybe it's something that can be
calculated in the source table, then added as a normal field in the
pivot table.

pivot table drop down values wrote:
I have approx 8000 rows of information with approx 30 columns. I want to add
a custom calculation which I was able to to at first but everytime I refresh
the pivot it bombs out & closes. I am assuming it the file is to large. Is
there a way to fix this?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No they are in one column. I have forecasts and actual in column A called
"Data Source" and in my pivot table I am grouping forecast and actual along
the header of the pivot table.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

What calculation are you creating? Maybe it's something that can be
calculated in the source table, then added as a normal field in the
pivot table.

pivot table drop down values wrote:

I have approx 8000 rows of information with approx 30 columns. I want to add
a custom calculation which I was able to to at first but everytime I refresh
the pivot it bombs out & closes. I am assuming it the file is to large. Is
there a way to fix this?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instead of a calculated item, you could add the amount to the data area
again.
Right-click on the heading for the second amount, and choose Field Settings
Click the Options button, and for Show Data as, choose % of
For Base Field, choose Status
For Base Item, choose Forecast, click OK

There's an example he

This will show columns for Actual and Forecast, and you could manually
hide the one you don't want.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks that works very nicely! As a work around I was inserting the
calculations to the right of the pivot but of course if my users deselected a
value or modified in anyway it would screw up the manual calculations.
Thanks again for being so responsive. You have been an tremendous help