Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pasting PDF pages into Worksheets

I have several spreadsheets in which I need to paste PDF pages. The problem
is that this increases the file size of the spreadsheet more than that of the
PDf.

For example, after saving a blank spreadsheet, the file size is only 14 Kb.
After pasting both pages of a PDF into the file, the file size increases to
96 Kb. The original PDF is only 45 Kb.

Can someone please explain why the file size increases so much and is there
a way to capture and paste this information without such an increase of file
size? My current procedure is simply to use the snapshot tool to copy each
page in Acrobat Reader then I paste the respective snapshots into the
insertion point of the spreadsheet.

Any help in accomplishing this with minimal file size would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

If you ae using the snap shot tool I am thinking of, when you do the snap
shot it converts the .PDF into a graphic or picture document possibly a .bmp
file, which may increase the file size depending on the amount of the
origional document you are capturing. I would suggest pasting your snap shot
into your paint program. If it is a .bmp file you should have the option of
saving as a .jpg or .jpeg file that has a smaller file size. The more
expensive paint or graphic programs programs will acutually let you decide
what resolution and/or physical size you would like and show the resulting
file size before you save it. Once you have the size you want then paste it
into your spreadsheet. Remember that a smaller resolution will result in
less definition for your final result.

Another alternative is scanning the .PDF then use the OCR function in the
scanner to convert to an excel document that will easily reduce the file size
to paste into your document.

Finally I assume you don't have Adobe Acrobat becasue you are using the
snapshot tool, but if you did it would allow you to copy the actual text and
numbers from your .PDF providing the .PDF was created from an actual
spreadsheet using Adobe Acrobat. The just paste actual test or neumbers
directly into your spreadsheet.

Hope this helps...
--
Jerry Sharpee