Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sum if not null

I would like to sum all cells which are non-blank (same as selecting non-blank
cells in a filter). I tried

=sumif(A:A,"<""""",B:B)

but Excel didn't think much of it.

What is the correct criteria for 'not null'?

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Fred,
Perhaps try something like:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100<""),B1:B100)
Adapt the ranges to suit. We can't use entire col refs in SP.
--
Max
Singapore
"Fred Smith" wrote in message
I would like to sum all cells which are non-blank (same as selecting
non-blank cells in a filter). I tried

=sumif(A:A,"<""""",B:B)

but Excel didn't think much of it.

What is the correct criteria for 'not null'?

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

It seems to work okay w/o the &"".

=SUMIF(A:A,"<",B:B)

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMIF(A:A,"<"&"",B:B)

"Fred Smith" wrote:

I would like to sum all cells which are non-blank (same as selecting non-blank
cells in a filter). I tried

=sumif(A:A,"<""""",B:B)

but Excel didn't think much of it.

What is the correct criteria for 'not null'?

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

=SUMIF(A:A,"<",B:B)

Above doesn't seem to return correctly if col A contained null strings: "",
which was what I thought Fred was looking for. That's why I suggested the
good, old Sumproduct way <g.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

I see what you mean. Good call. I'll have to try to remember that
particular "feature". <g