Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default (c)

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's a default setting in AutoCorrect.

<Tools <AutoCorrect
And either delete the (c),
Or *Uncheck*
"Replace Text As You Type"
To disable the entire AutoCorrect feature.
--
HTH,

RD

"pkferret" wrote in message
I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter
what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I
tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, pkferret!
You wrote on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:51:01 -0800:

p I am trying to enter a form number for a description,
p 668-W(c), and every time I enter it, the (c) changes to the
p copyright symbol, and no matter what I do it won't accept
p plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried to
p put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

p Any suggestions?
p --
p pk

I guess you must have auto correct set to convert (c) to the
copyright symbol. . You can switch it off. Tools Autocorrect

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

My Excel 97 will work using a leading apostrophe......but if your version
won't, then try Tools Autocorrect and delete the change.......but this
will be for all of Office, not just Excel........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"pkferret" wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is MSFT trying to be 'helpful.' I say they're being idiots by
programming this Auto"Correct" "feature" into their software.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"pkferret" wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the Cell (668-W(c) )
Go to TOOLS then AUTOCORRECTOPTIONS...
Where it says:
Replace: With:
(c) (c) Copyright

Select that line and click DELETE and then ok.

On the cell selected again, delete only the (c) copyright
and then type your normal (c) and click ENTER.
that should work for you.

Edgar...
--
Computer Tech

"pkferret" wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OR after you get (c) hit CTRL+Z
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"pkferret" wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter
what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I
tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Bernard!
You wrote on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:16:24 -0400:

Thank you for the tip on CTRL+Z to cancel autocorrect. I'll say
it again, you *can* teach an old dog new tricks :-) or at least
let me admit that I did not know the shortcut for "undo last
action" would do it!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsAutocorrect Options.

Delete the (c) from the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:51:01 -0800, pkferret
wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Bernard.........
Does that work for you in 97?............all I get is a blank cell..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

OR after you get (c) hit CTRL+Z
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"pkferret" wrote:

I am trying to enter a form number for a description, 668-W(c), and every
time I enter it, the (c) changes to the copyright symbol, and no matter
what
I do it won't accept plain text. I used a ', I changed it to text, I
tried
to put that as a special formatting, it just won't accept it.

Any suggestions?
--
pk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you everybody! That should work. I changed a couple of other
auto-correct items while I was in there.

Actually, the original page work once I deleted the # in the cell before it
and the "-" in the cell after it. Why this should work I have no idea, but
it did.
--
pk