Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Running Totals

My Question is how to run a total on the next column from values from
preceeding Column EX:

Column A Column B
1 1
2 3
3 6
4 10
5 15
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With
A list of values in Col_A, beginning in A1

This formula calculates the running total
B1: =SUM($A$1:A1)

Copy that formula down as far as needed

Note: the Dollar Signs ($) in the formula locks the parts of the reference
that they preceed.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"MAC Man" wrote:

My Question is how to run a total on the next column from values from
preceeding Column EX:

Column A Column B
1 1
2 3
3 6
4 10
5 15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is exactly what I was looking for Ron. Thanks. The only thing I'd like
to improve is to not have all the following cells down the column = the last
total. Is there a way to have it equal 0 until you enter a new value in the
next cell in Columb A?

"MAC Man" wrote:

My Question is how to run a total on the next column from values from
preceeding Column EX:

Column A Column B
1 1
2 3
3 6
4 10
5 15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about one of these?:

This one calcs the total if anything is in the Col_A cell, including text.
B1: =IF(A1<"",SUM($A$1:A1),"")

OR
This one only calcs the total if the Col_A cell contains a number
B1: =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),SUM($A$1:A1),"")

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"MAC Man" wrote:

My Question is how to run a total on the next column from values from
preceeding Column EX:

Column A Column B
1 1
2 3
3 6
4 10
5 15

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The other way is that you do as below:

A B

1 5 =if(isnumber(a1),a1,"")
2 9 =if(isnumber(a2),b1+a2,"")

and then you can copy the second formula to where ever you want i think it
takes computer's memory less

thanks

--
Farhad Hodjat