Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
md md is offline

Default conditional formatting

I have a column that either draws from a column with a date or a column with
a number with 2 decimals. I want the fomatting to match whatever column it
ultimately pulls from. I can't seem to figure it out - the conditional
formatting feature only allows me to change the color and whatnot.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that the dates are formatted as dates and the decimals are formatted
as numbers, then in the conditional formatting dialogue box, choose "cell
value is" and, in the window beside that option, enter the formula
=ISNUMBER(A1) where A1 is the cell to which you want to apply conditional
formatting. Select the formatting you want to apply for numbers.

For cells which are NOT numbers then, for the second condition, enter the
formula =NOT(ISNUMBER(A1) and select the formatting you want to apply for
not-numbers.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"md" wrote:

I have a column that either draws from a column with a date or a column with
a number with 2 decimals. I want the fomatting to match whatever column it
ultimately pulls from. I can't seem to figure it out - the conditional
formatting feature only allows me to change the color and whatnot.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
md md is offline

I understand that, but the formatting options, at least for the version of
Excel I use, only allows me to choose color and borders, not date format vs.
number format. I have three columns, and the third column has an if statement
that will pull a value from either the first (a date) or second (a number)
column. It pulls the value, but won't pull the formatting. I was hoping to
use the conditional formatting tool, but it won't/can't go far enough. i hope
that makes sense.

"md" wrote:

I have a column that either draws from a column with a date or a column with
a number with 2 decimals. I want the fomatting to match whatever column it
ultimately pulls from. I can't seem to figure it out - the conditional
formatting feature only allows me to change the color and whatnot.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My response told you how to use the conditional formatting tool to do what
you want.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.