Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing two dates in one column

I found this piece of code while searching for a way to underline
anytime there is a date change in column A, but it doesnt always
underline correctly and if ran twice it incorrectly underlines rows.
Where is the bug? I can't find it. Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Dim RowNdx As Long
Dim ColNum As Integer

ColNum = Selection(1).Column
Columns("A:A").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For RowNdx = Selection(Selection.Cells.Count).Row To _
Selection(1).Row + 1 Step -1
If Cells(RowNdx, ColNum).Value < Cells(RowNdx - 1, ColNum).Value
Then
Cells(RowNdx - 1, 1).EntireRow.Select
With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlMedium
.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
End With
End If
Next RowNdx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I waited too long, but that is good, because you can see
in the other replies, how you should change your macro,
however, still stands, I think Conditional Formatting is best.

You don't have and IF, Else relationship to remove
the border. You can instead remove all of the bottom
borders for the selection at the start of the macro.
You do NOT want to process every cell in Column A
read about use of SpecialCells and/or UsedRange
on http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm
As you have it your macro would probably take about 3 minutes
to run even for only twenty cells with test data.

I think it would be a lot easier to use Conditional Formatting
and then you would not have to run a macro each time you
change your data, just before you want to look at it or print it.
see
Color Grouping with alternating colors (#grouping)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...t.htm#grouping
of course that is what you need, you should read the page
from the top if you are not familiar with Conditional Formatting.

The change will be automatic, you will not have to run a macro
and you won't see a slow down because of use of C.F.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel