Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Workbook Created By Signed Addin Is Itself Not Signed

This has to be a common problem. We have an Excel addin that we sell to
users. This addin creates a new workbook for the user (Workbooks.add) and
copies several pages from the xla into the created workbook that themselves
contain a minimal amount of VBA code, just enough to invoke code hidden in
our addin.
We code sign the addin project using a Verisign certificate. We hoped that
users would then not be presented with the "enable macros" question (when
security is set to "medium" or above). Indeed they are not initially, when
opening Excel after installing our addin, nor when they create their own
workbook via our menu item, nor while they interact with this workbook.
However, once they save the created workbook, every time they subsequently
open it they are presented with the "enable macros" question. Or if they have
security set to "high," the macros simply don't work.
I assume this happens because of the pages containing VBA code that we
copied from the addin into the created workbook. Even though the code was
originally signed, somehow this "guarantee" does not propagate to the newly
created workbook.
Is there any solution to this, something we could do differently that would
make this work? Ideally, the solution would work in Excel 97 - current
version.