Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculate totals

This is what I got:
bananas 5 9 3 1
bananas 1 2 7 3
bananas 8 7 4 2
oranges 1 5 1 3
oranges 2 4 8 2
pears 9 5 2 3
pears 7 5 2 3 etc......

I need one row with the totals for each "fruit"

bananas 14 18 14 6
oranges 3 9 9 5
pears 16 10 4 6 etc...

Anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike, use something like this,

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"bananas",B1:B10)

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Mike Mike" wrote in message
This is what I got:
bananas 5 9 3 1
bananas 1 2 7 3
bananas 8 7 4 2
oranges 1 5 1 3
oranges 2 4 8 2
pears 9 5 2 3
pears 7 5 2 3 etc......

I need one row with the totals for each "fruit"

bananas 14 18 14 6
oranges 3 9 9 5
pears 16 10 4 6 etc...

Anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Mike Mike
spake thusly:

This is what I got:
bananas 5 9 3 1
bananas 1 2 7 3
bananas 8 7 4 2
oranges 1 5 1 3
oranges 2 4 8 2
pears 9 5 2 3
pears 7 5 2 3 etc......

I need one row with the totals for each "fruit"

bananas 14 18 14 6
oranges 3 9 9 5
pears 16 10 4 6 etc...

Assuming you're starting in Col A with the names
and data begins on the first row, then -- in
B14, where you have the first "bananas" total,
use this:

=SUMIF($A1:$A7,OFFSET($A$1,ROW()-1,0),B1:B7)

Drag that down and across. This also assumes you
are repeating the names in Col. A on your totals
rows, as you have done in the example.

-dman-
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Read Help to fins out about SUMIF then come back with any questions
OR learn about pivot tables (a bit more complicated)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Mike Mike" wrote in message
This is what I got:
bananas 5 9 3 1
bananas 1 2 7 3
bananas 8 7 4 2
oranges 1 5 1 3
oranges 2 4 8 2
pears 9 5 2 3
pears 7 5 2 3 etc......

I need one row with the totals for each "fruit"

bananas 14 18 14 6
oranges 3 9 9 5
pears 16 10 4 6 etc...

Anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dallman Ross <dman@localhost.
spake thusly:

Assuming you're starting in Col A with the names
and data begins on the first row, then -- in
B14, where you have the first "bananas" total,
use this:

I didn't mean "B14", but rather in the first totals
row (for "bananas") in Col B. When I set up my
test sheet, I had it in B14, but it doesn't matter
which row the totals start on: