Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date won't format

I am trying to get a date column to apply a format. For example the dates
are entered as 1/22/2007 and I need them to be 01/22/2007 but when I go into
dates and select that format it does not apply it. Does anyone know what I
can do? These are expiration dates that we need to import into our eblast
program for membership renewals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try Data/ Text to Columns/ Delimited/ Next/ Next/ Column Data Format: Date:
MDY/ Finish
Format your result appropriately.
--
David Biddulph

"marketerinco" wrote in message
I am trying to get a date column to apply a format. For example the dates
are entered as 1/22/2007 and I need them to be 01/22/2007 but when I go
into
dates and select that format it does not apply it. Does anyone know what
can do? These are expiration dates that we need to import into our eblast
program for membership renewals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Still no luck. I have tried to even copy the data into a new spreadsheet. I
have gone in and created the custom format and still nothing. There are 700
of the dates in this file and I don't have them in any other format. This
file is it. Is there possibly a format lock on the cell?

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

Cell is probably formatted as text. Re-format as Custom, enter mm/dd/yyyy
(or find the equiavalent in the Date category), then re-enter the cell.
(F2/Enter)

"marketerinco" wrote in message
I am trying to get a date column to apply a format. For example the dates
are entered as 1/22/2007 and I need them to be 01/22/2007 but when I go
into
dates and select that format it does not apply it. Does anyone know what
can do? These are expiration dates that we need to import into our eblast
program for membership renewals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try multiplying the date cell(s) by 1
If it's a date, it should get you a 5 digit number that you can format as
any date format you want.
If it doesn't, then it's not a 'date" in the cell(s).
Possibly a space (or other character) before or after??

John

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

Cell is probably formatted as text. Re-format as Custom, enter mm/dd/yyyy
(or find the equiavalent in the Date category), then re-enter the cell.
(F2/Enter)

"marketerinco" wrote in message
I am trying to get a date column to apply a format. For example the
dates
are entered as 1/22/2007 and I need them to be 01/22/2007 but when I go
into
dates and select that format it does not apply it. Does anyone know
what
can do? These are expiration dates that we need to import into our
eblast
program for membership renewals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's say that you have "11/04/06" in cell "A1"
In B1, type A1*1 and see what you get.
If B1 returns a date or a 39025 then what was in A1 was a date.

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

Cell is probably formatted as text. Re-format as Custom, enter
mm/dd/yyyy
(or find the equiavalent in the Date category), then re-enter the
cell.
(F2/Enter)

"marketerinco" wrote in
message
I am trying to get a date column to apply a format. For example the
dates
are entered as 1/22/2007 and I need them to be 01/22/2007 but when I
go
into
dates and select that format it does not apply it. Does anyone know
what
can do? These are expiration dates that we need to import into our
eblast
program for membership renewals.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not if you manually do this menu selection sequence with the troublesome
column selected:

Data/ Text to Columns/ Delimited/ Next/ Next/ Column Data Format: Date:
MDY/ Finish

or put 1 in an empty cell, then select the cell and do Edit=Copy

then select your troublesome values and do Edit=Paste Special and select
Multiply and Values

Now format the column with the suggested custom date format.

Tom Ogilvy

Date: