Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Colour

Can't seem to get any help with this :(

I have two two columns in excel

a b
Jan 200
Feb 456
Mar 544
June 1201

'b' numbers already has a conditional format in place using the when "cell
value is" function. So when cell value is less than 1200 the numbers go red.
when its above 1200 they go green...

What I want next is for the dates in column 'a' to change the same colour as
the 'b' numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dave
spake thusly:

I have two two columns in excel

a b
Jan 200
Feb 456
Mar 544
June 1201

'b' numbers already has a conditional format in place using the
when "cell value is" function. So when cell value is less than
1200 the numbers go red. when its above 1200 they go green...

What I want next is for the dates in column 'a' to change the
same colour as the 'b' numbers.

Format Col. A cells conditionally, but instead of using
the default "Cell Value Is" in the conditional formatting
dialogue, use "Formula Is" (pull-down selection). The
CF formula for A1, for example, could be:

=B1=1200

(and format the font as green for the condition.)

You can format the whole of Column A to be a red font,
so you don't have to "waste" a second conditional formula
for <1200.

Btw, no need to post the same thing twice.

-dman-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cheers still having a problem with numbers between say 1200 to 1400.

"Dallman Ross" <dman@localhost. wrote in message
In , Dave
spake thusly:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Dave
spake thusly:

Cheers still having a problem with numbers between say 1200 to
1400.

I have a suspicion, based on something that sometimes happens
to me: sometimes I type a formula in there, such as our

=B1=1200

and it doesn't take. I go back in and find Excel treated
it like a string with surround-quotes:

="b=1200"

I remove the quotes, and it works as I'd expected.

The second theory I have -- in case that wasn't it -- is
that you inadvertently have absolute references in the
formula: "=$B$1=1200" instead of the same without the
dollar sign before the row number. That would cause
unpredictable results based on the value of B1 for all
the cells in Column A. Check for that and remove the dollar
sign if it's there. Let us know what you find!

-dman-