Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking Multiple Rows to Use in Mail Merge

I'm not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem. I have an exported file
from a database which has multiple lines that need to be merged into a form
letter. The problem is I there could be up to anywhere from 1- 6 lines for
per person but I need the data from the 1-6 lines merged to the form letter.
The worksheet looks somewhat like this with the first line being the headers:

ID FN LN Line CFN CLN ADDRESS HOME#
WORK#
123123 Joe Smith 1 Pamela Smith xxxxxxxxx 303-1111
750-4561
123123 Joe Smith 2 Barkley Jones xxxxxxxxx 720-4591
456-7897
123123 Joe Smith 3 Jackie Smith xxxxxxxxx 303-1245
303-4246
123123 Joe Smith Cindy Smith xxxxxxxxx 303-1245
303-4579

I want to merge the data for Joe Smith into a form letter as follows:

123123 Joe Smith
CFN Pamela Smith 1
CFN Barkley Jones 2
CFN Jackie Smith 3
CFN Cindy Smith

I know I can physically manipulate the spreadsheet and move the data onto
one row form Joe Smith with different headers but there are about 150
spreadsheets and they range from 500- 6000 lines. Is there a formula that
will automatically pick up and link the data from the ID column which is the
only column that is unique?

Exhausted...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Word MVP Cindy Meister has merging instructions that may help you:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

Under Special Merges, click Multiple items per condition

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you might have given me the solution but I don't have my data file
with me to test the Mail Merge Format Key Field option. I will reply back if
it works for my needs. Thank you so much for what looks like my solution.

"Exhausted..." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the formula but I can't seem to get the
results I need. When I use the {MERGEFIELD} and {Set 1} ect. it's not
pulling all the information correctly. The merge needs to merge multiple
contact information per customer. The first 4 column headers of the data
source contain unique customer information and needs to be merged in a
shipping label merge once. The next 8-10 column headers contain other fields
that extract additional contact but is extracted in subseqeent rows beneath
for customer. I only want the first 3 columns of the customer information
to appear once but need all the subequent information on the following rows
to that same customer to be included all on one the label. I've tried the
formula different ways and I'm sure I'm just not getting it right but haven't
been able to produce what I'm needing. If you have anymore tips that might
help me get my job done that would be great.