Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2000 Lists - Insert Row in Protected worksheet

I'd like people to be able to enter new rows into a list using the insert row
in Excel 2k, but don't want them inadvertently messing with formulas. But
when I turn on Protect Worksheet, the Insert Row with the Asterisk does not
appear. I gave them all the permissions that seem logical. Is this just the
way it is? If you protect the worksheet, you can't use the Insert Row (with
Asterisk) in Excel S2k?

If that's the way it is, I don't mind prompting them to Unprotect the sheet
to insert rows and then reprotecting it, but these people need visual clues.
Is there a way to make it obvious that the worksheet is Unprotected? I use a
lot of conditional formatting to remind them that they need to do something.
For instance, if they have an entry in one cell, another cell turns blue
until they put something in that one, too.

Is there a formula for indicating that the worksheet is unprotected that I
could use? Something like the "cell("protect")" function, which indicates
whether the cell is locked, but not if it is protected (locked with
protection on)?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mark,

Probably your best bet is a macro they can run that unprotects the sheet,
inserts the row, then re-protects the sheet. The macro could be started via
a keyboard shortcut, menu option, or toolbar button your create. We can
write the macro, but you'll have to be willing to put it into the VBE, and
set up how the users are to run it.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com