Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Expanding amount of data in a formula

I am able to copy information from sheet1 A1 to sheet2 A2 with the formula
placed into the cell of sheet2 A2 [ =sheet1!A1 ]. My problem is I get a
message saying that formula is to large whenever I put a lot of data in
sheet1 A1. Is there a way to increase amount of data place int the cell?
--
John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're entering lots of Text in A1 of sheet1, try starting your entry with an
apostrophe:

'this is the start of my long text...

It sounds like excel is seeing your "text" as a formula. Are you starting with
a +, -, = character?

(Excel's formulas are limited to 1024 characters (in R1C1 reference style).)

John wrote:

I am able to copy information from sheet1 A1 to sheet2 A2 with the formula
placed into the cell of sheet2 A2 [ =sheet1!A1 ]. My problem is I get a
message saying that formula is to large whenever I put a lot of data in
sheet1 A1. Is there a way to increase amount of data place int the cell?
--
John

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am starting with a = character to able to copy information from sheet1 A1
to sheet2 A2. If I use an apostrphe will it accomplish the same thing or is
there another command that will work?

John wrote:

I am able to copy information from sheet1 A1 to sheet2 A2 with the formula
placed into the cell of sheet2 A2 [ =sheet1!A1 ]. My problem is I get a
message saying that formula is to large whenever I put a lot of data in
sheet1 A1. Is there a way to increase amount of data place int the cell?
--
John

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you use an apostrophe, then the entry will be treated as text--not a formula.

But if you are doing a simple formula that links to one cell, you're not going
to come close to that limit.

Depending on what you're trying to do, there may be a simpler formula.