Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Create formula which will number a list in Excel 2003

Hi, would anybody be able to think of an equation for this? Let's say that in
Column A I have 10 of the same number. (e.g. A1-A10 is taken up by 3372 ten
times over)
And after that under that I have another number 15 times over (e.g. 5050
from A11-A25). How can I make Excel (in column B) automatically number the
first list of the same number 1-10, and the following list 1-15?
Any solutions will be much appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In cell B1 enter 1
In cell B2 enter
=IF(A2="","",IF(A2=A1,B1+1,1))
and copy down as far as required

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Wessel" wrote in message
Hi, would anybody be able to think of an equation for this? Let's say
that in
Column A I have 10 of the same number. (e.g. A1-A10 is taken up by
3372 ten
times over)
And after that under that I have another number 15 times over (e.g.
5050
from A11-A25). How can I make Excel (in column B) automatically number
the
first list of the same number 1-10, and the following list 1-15?
Any solutions will be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Roger

Thanks for that formula! I tweaked it a little bit though, and came up with
[Write 1 in B1, and put formula in B2] =IF((A1=A2), (B1+1),1)

Wessel

"Wessel" wrote in message
Hi, would anybody be able to think of an equation for this? Let's say
that in
Column A I have 10 of the same number. (e.g. A1-A10 is taken up by
3372 ten
times over)
And after that under that I have another number 15 times over (e.g.
5050
from A11-A25). How can I make Excel (in column B) automatically number
the
first list of the same number 1-10, and the following list 1-15?
Any solutions will be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Well other than removing my test to prevent 1's being added to rows
where nothing occurred in column A, your formula is the same, apart from
incorporating unnecessary brackets.

=IF(A2=A1,B1+1,1))

=IF((A1=A2), (B1+1),1)

--