Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Average doesn't average correctly?

I have an interesting problem. In my spreadsheet I have two averaging cells.
The first [=IF(COUNT(B2:B191)=0,"",AVERAGE(B2:B191))] averages a column of
clients' visits and gives out an average number of visits per month. In
January of 2005 this number is 13. The second cell
[=IF(COUNT(N2:N191)=0,"",AVERAGE(N2:N191))] averages a column with identical
numbers, a yearly total column, and gives out an averages for the year. I
only entered data for one month, so I was expecting to see 13 in both cells.
But the second cell returned 12. How is that possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're averaging different ranges of data. Does either range have different
data?

SUM and COUNT both ranges to see if you're dealing with different data sets.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"jmj713" wrote:

I have an interesting problem. In my spreadsheet I have two averaging cells.
The first [=IF(COUNT(B2:B191)=0,"",AVERAGE(B2:B191))] averages a column of
clients' visits and gives out an average number of visits per month. In
January of 2005 this number is 13. The second cell
[=IF(COUNT(N2:N191)=0,"",AVERAGE(N2:N191))] averages a column with identical
numbers, a yearly total column, and gives out an averages for the year. I
only entered data for one month, so I was expecting to see 13 in both cells.
But the second cell returned 12. How is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're averaging different ranges of data. Does either range have different
data?

They are different ranges but the data is the same. In the first column is
the number of a client's visit for that month. The other column in a yearly
total. The two cells average the two columns respectively, but since I only
entered a month's worth of data, the data in the first column (January) and
the data in the last column (Yearly Total) is the same. The two functions
average those two columns, and, to my understanding, the should be the same,
unless I'm missing something, or very confused.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SUM and COUNT both ranges to see if you're dealing with different data sets.

I do also have a SUM cell that gives a plain total, and in both instances
the total is the same.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your formulas work correctly for me--both return the same average. I repeat
my earlier suggestion: SUM and COUNT both ranges to insure that you are, in
fact, dealing with the same data sets in both ranges.

Also check to see if calculation is set to automatic:
Tools--Options--Calculation

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.