Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Activate Hyperlinks - Excel 2002

Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In 2002-2003 you can turn automatic hyperlinking of
ToolsAutocorrect options

But you can use a macro to do this

With E-mail addresses in column B

Sub test()
For Each myCell In Columns("B").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstant s)
If myCell.Value Like "?*@?*.?*" Then
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=myCell, _
Address:="mailto:" & myCell.Value, TextToDisplay:=myCell.Value
End If
Next
End Sub

With websites in column C (http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm)

Sub test2()
For Each myCell In Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstant s)
If myCell.Value Like "*www*" Then
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=myCell, _
Address:=myCell.Value, TextToDisplay:=myCell.Value
End If
Next

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Why Von" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Brilliant Ron!

I don't know how to do Macros - but can you just walk me through it?

Tools, Macros, then what? It looks like I can just cut and paste your
macros in changing my column number correct?

Many thanks - looking for steps to create macros.

Whyvon

"Why Von" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good morning

Where do I place the macro's ?
1. Alt-F11
2. InsertModule from the Menubar
3. Paste the Code there
4. Alt-Q to go back to Excel
5. Alt-F8 to run the subs

See David McRitchie's site if you just started with VBA

Tools, Macros, then what? It looks like I can just cut and paste your
macros in changing my column number correct?

Correct

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Why Von" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you -

It works beautifully but here's the problem:

After I closed it - and deleted it - so it wouldn't cause my client any
trouble - it gave a warning when I went to reopen it. I don't want my client
to see this.

No way around that I suppose?

"Why Von" wrote:

Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you writing about the warning that the workbook contains macros?

If yes, then there are some remnants that you missed.

Visit Debra Dalgleish site for instructions:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

"Why Von" wrote:

Hello,

I thought this would be simple - but I'm beginning to wonder. . .

I have a large "client contact" sheet with columns for "Email" and
"Website", but for some reason the email address and website addresses are
not active hyperlinks.

Short of right clicking on each cell (2600!) - is there a way to highlight
the column and perform this action - PLEASE I HOPE SO!

P.S. I am a general user - not advanced - don't know how to do macros.

Thank you,

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks both of you very much.

I have since found another solution. . .

but it was rather tedious.

For those who are interested and don't want to do macros you just double
click on each cell and that activates it.