JSTLB0605

Default Invalid Range Name

I have an application that reads data from spreadsheets based upon named
ranges. I have a customer that has ported the application over to French
Windows and French Excel XP. The application now gets an error reading one
of the named ranges, specifically L1SAVE. I now have an installation with
French Windows and French Excel XP and have been working in that environment
to try to figure out why the name will not work. When I go directly into
Excel and select the L1SAVE name range I get an error message indicating that
the name is invalid. I can try to create a new named range with that name
and it gives me the same error. I tried varying the name but if I give it a
name that begins with L(upper or lower case) with a number other than zero
following, I get the error message about it being an invalid name. Is there
some special significance to the combination of L and a non-zero number in
the French version of Excel (maybe related to currency francs?). If so how
would I turn off the option that is not allowing these names?
Frank Kabel

Hi
does changing the name to X1SAVE work?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"JSTLB0605" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
[...]

JSTLB0605

Yes, it will work for X1SAVE. But I am hoping that I can find a way to do
this without having to rename the named region. Renaming it would have an
impact on many customers and would have to spend a lot of time updating many
spreadsheets.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

Frank Kabel

Hi
I'd suspect that L is used in a French version for identifying a row
(Ligne). So the french version probably uses L as identifier within the
R1C1 reference style.
So probably no chance to use such a name

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"JSTLB0605" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

JSTLB0605

Frank,

Thanks! That was the answer. I tried the same thing for the English
version starting with R1 and it gave the same error message. I guess that I
will need to find out what letters are used for row and column for the many
languages of Excel and make changes to the application accordingly. Lots of
work ahead :(

Again, thanks for your help and have a happy Holidays,

Tim

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

Frank Kabel

Hi