Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Setting up an IF function using a name rather than a number

I want to set up formulas such as:
=IF(E7='Smith',F7,0)
=IF(E7='Jones',F7,0)
but it isn't working. Do I need a numerical value in the "logical test"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change the single quotes to double quotes.

=IF(E7="Smith",F7,0)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP